MPS SUPERINTENDENT DR. MELVIN J. BROWN
Dr. Melvin J. Brown was announced as the next superintendent of Montgomery Public Schools by a unanimous vote of the Montgomery County Board of Education (MCBOE) on April 8, 2022. He previously served as the Superintendent and Chief Executive Officer of the Reynoldsburg City Schools District in Ohio.
His mission is to ensure that:
- Every child in every classroom receives the highest quality education and instruction;
- Safe and secure learning and working environments are available for all students and employees;
- Montgomery Public Schools attract and retain the best possible employees;
- All employees are properly trained through ongoing staff and professional development to stay informed of current educational trends and to develop new skills in their areas of expertise;
- State of the art technology is readily accessible to all students and staff;
- Parent and community involvement in the educational process of our students is properly and continuously promoted and encouraged;
- All Montgomery Public Schools are providing opportunities for children to reach their full potential in and outside of the classroom.
Dr. Brown has 24 years of school administrative experience. He has served as Superintendent in Residence and Visiting Professor at The Ohio State University. Formerly, he served as the Deputy Superintendent for the Cuyahoga Falls City School District and prior to that as its Director of Human Resources. He also has served as Regional Vice President for Mosaica Education Inc. and as an Associate Superintendent for Prince William County Schools in the state of Virginia, where he supervised 20 schools and more than 22,000 students. Additionally, he has six years of experience as an elementary school principal and two years of experience as a middle school principal. His non-administrative experiences include teaching middle school language arts, teaching high school English, and coaching track and boys’ basketball.
Dr. Brown holds an Ed.D. in Educational Studies, Educational Administration, from The Ohio State University. He also holds a master’s degree in Educational Administration and Supervision from Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, Va., and a bachelor’s degree in English from James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Va.
Dr. Brown is a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., to which he dedicates time providing service to the community. He has also served on a number of boards of directors, has chaired various committees, and is active with AASA and numerous other national networks. He is a 2021 honoree of Central Ohio’s “A Tribute to African Americans Committee, Inc.” and is Co-Author of the book, STEM Century: It Takes a Village to Raise a 21st Century Graduate.